Festival News

Selfie sticks at festivals, a thing of the past?

The promoter of the Soundwave music festival, held in major cities across Australia, has vowed to crack down on “selfie” sticks, saying they are preventing concertgoers from enjoying the show.

Promoter AJ Maddah’s concerns come as the Sydney Entertainment Centre, now Qantas Credit Union Arena, confirmed to Fairfax Media that it too had recently cracked down on them by banning their use.

Etihad Staidum in MelbourneDomain Stadium in WA, Perth Arena, and Suncorp stadium in Brisbane have also started stating in ticket terms and conditions of recent events that they would refuse to allow entry to any reveller carrying the photography aids, dubbed “wands of narcissism”.

But the Melbourne Cricket Ground, where many of Australia’s football matches are held, is bucking the selfie stick ban trend, saying it allowed them as long as they didn’t “impede the view of those seated in the nearby area”.

“We have no plans to ban them at this stage,” a spokeswoman said.

Mr Maddah’s concerns came to a head on Sunday, following the Adelaide Soundwave.

“Dear people with those f—ing camera sticks: please have some consideration for people behind you trying to enjoy the show. Thank you,” Mr Maddah said on Twitter.

AJ Maddah says so-called "selfie" sticks will be banned at Sydney's Soundwave.

In a follow-up interview, Mr Maddah told Fairfax there were about a dozen people using the sticks at the Adelaide event. “It is just the ultimate expression of narcissism,” Mr Maddah said.

But the “biggest problem with the sticks had been in Melbourne, he said, with about 40 or 50 of them in use at the Soundwave there.

“Most of them are pointed at the stage with kids taking photos. But I think the one that kind of put it in perspective for me was there was a band set going and a young girl pointed it at herself,” he said.

“It took every fibre of resistance I had not to just grab the stick off her and kick her out.

“But then I figured she may have possibly paid for her ticket and so I resisted.”

Asked if he was going to allow the sticks at Sydney’s Soundwave at Olympic Park this weekend, he said: “It’s absolutely not going to happen. We’re just not going to tolerate one person using them.”

If people did arrive with them, Mr Maddah said they were going to need to put them in a provided cloakroom.

Not only were the sticks enabling the “illegal recording” of a band’s set, Mr Maddah said, but they were also inconveniencing people around those who used them and causing safety issues

“It is insane that people don’t have enough courtesy to care about the people around them,” he said. “Just don’t bring them.”

Still, some on Twitter didn’t appear to have received the message, saying they were planning to bring the sticks to the event.

Sourced from SMH here.

kudos
Previous post

Backyard chills and chats with 'Kudos'

waaxsinkingteethjoukmistrow
Next post

WAAX + THE SINKING TEETH + JOUK MISTROW @ THE FOUNDRY, MARCH 7

giggedin

No Comment

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>